Saturday, August 2, 2008

Silence is Golden; Wisdom is Rare -- personal

Those are some quotations that decorate the wall of my favorite London pub, Blackfriar's. Last night we had our British Studies Program Research Symposium (thankfully, only one person from each class presented and it wasn't me!), then most of the library class decided to go out all together, which really hasn't happened. Lot's of fun!

So this is probably my last post before getting on a plane and heading home. I'll be leaving the dorms at the wonderful hour of 4:30 a.m. Yikes! At least over here it's already starting to get light by then (it's crazy! It fully daylight by 5 a.m., and doesn't get dark until around 9:30, sometimes 10 p. And in Scotland it's even more pronounced: Light by 4 a.m. and dark around midnight).

I have taken advantage of a little more culture over the past few days. I went to the Tate Britain art museum. Very cool. They only have a small modern and contemporary section, which I didn't really spend any time in, but they were having a special contemporary exhibit that was interesting: sprinters. Basically every thirty seconds someone sprinted through their great hall. Art? you decide. Captivating? Definitely. I also went to the Museum of London Docklands and saw a Jack the Ripper exhibit which was really great; they gave you a lot of history of the East End of London at the time which was heartbreaking.

So today...who knows. I'm playing it by ear.

2 comments:

Grubb Family said...

I've loved keeping up with you in London through your blog. I haven't commented much, but I want you to know I've been reading and LOVED it. Thanks for keeping us updated on all the fun stuff you are doing and learning.

max said...

Amanda, I'm just catching up with your travels. Sounds like you had a great trip!

By now, I hope you are comfortably settled at home with a lot of great memories.