Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Art and speedboats -- personal

I really love art museums. Sometimes, especially if I've been trying to absorb a lot of information, it's nice to be able to just walk around and not feel pressure to learn anything and just enjoy interesting and beautiful things. And if I want to learn something, there's always some information to read somewhere. The Victoria and Albert Museum is pretty cool; it has a lot of three dimensional art -- textiles, sculpture, pottery, jewellry. I spent a short amount of time there yesterday wandering around their Asia exhibit and then in their photography exhibit. The coolest thing in the photography exhibit (which was all very nice) was a photograph that the artist developed onto a leaf. She treated the leaf with specific chemicals then developed her photograph onto it. So cool! If I have time I may go back and check out their miniature portraits and jewellry galleries which I hear are really neat.
Today we went to Greenwhich and the National Maritime Museum. Maritime history is really fascinating to me, and I just wished I could have shared it with my sea-fearing friends. I saw one amazing display of all kinds of nautical, astrinomical, and old time-keeping instruments. Dr. Mattox would have loved it, I think. I also got to straddle the hemispheres at the Royal Observatory and have a delicious dark chocolate truffle from a chocolatier in the Greenwhich Market.
On the way back I ended up on a narrated boat which was really cool! I heard all about the property development and gentrification of the river side properties, passed by the oldest pub on the Thames that dates back to the 16th century and used to be frequented by pirates. Learned about old warehouses and saw a house Charles Dickens lived in once. And I saw a pub owned by Gordon Ramsay! ;)

No comments: