Friday, July 11, 2008

Cox Apples - personal


So who out there knows that Cox apples are THE English apple? Well, now you do. Something I learned during my leisurly stroll through Borough's Market near the Tower Bridge (oh, and Borough's Market is fantastic...kind of like a huge gourmet farmer's market, only better), then went to Southwalk (pronounced 'suthuk') Cathedral. It's a really beautiful, simple cathedral that's been around for quite a while. There's a memorial and stained glass window dedicated to Shakespeare because he apparently spent a significant amount of time there -- the cathedral is a short walk from The Globe. It is strange to see a stained glass window in a church with characters from Shakespeare plays on it, however. You also get a real sense of history in the Southwalk Cathedral because of all the memorial plaques and stones -- some of them are true burial plaques and others just commemorate someone who's buried elsewhere; but the cool thing about it is that for the most part they're not famous people, just people who were important to someone.
After the cathedral I spent an hour or two in the Tate Modern art gallery (free!). I thought a lot of all my artistic buddies and wished you all had been there with me. I have to admit, I'm not always a huge modern art fan, but there were some interesting and beautiful pieces. My favorite was a sculpture called "The Avenger" by Ernst Barlach and some sculptures by Alberto Giacometti.

Tonight I'm going to see Agatha Christie's Mousetrap, which has been running for something like 47 years. Then tomorrow is a day trip to Dover.

Oh, and don't be looking for pictures for a while...my camera stopped working and I'm using a disposable one for the moment. but hopefully soon! I've got a few things in the works. :)

2 comments:

nemattox said...

Frustrating about your camera! I feel slightly responsible for that problem.

Amanda W said...

don't feel responsible! It's because I let it get soaking wet in the torrential rain. Completely my fault. Oh, and sorry for the redundancy on your facebook wall. I checked that before this. :)