Sunday, July 13, 2008

Knights and Damsels and Archbishops - personal

Yesterday I took an optional day trip to Dover and Canterbury. Awesome! Both towns have very ancient origins and you could really feel that as you walked around. In Dover we spent our time at the Dover castle (we did drive by the white cliffs); and I did wave to Rachel over in France. :) My favorite spot was on top of the hill with the old Midieval lighthouse and church where you can stand next to the old stone wall and stare out over the English Channel.
I could have stayed in Canterbury for several more hours. The town itself is a strange mixture of narrow, cobbled, Midieval streets and modern stores like Swatch and the Gap. We did find a great tea shop where half the store was on sale and had tea and scones (okay, I had a cappucino) at a great little cafe. And then there was the cathedral. Wow! St. Paul's is grand and ornate and unbelievable, but the Christ Church Cathedral in Canterbury is grand and majestic and really took my breath away. The main hall reminded me of one of the big halls in Lord of the Rings -- I kept expecting to see elves and warriors and hobbits walking around. We walked around the cathedral and the crypt and then outside where we came across a little garden with herbs and old-fashioned flowers; someone had put little signs among the plants so you knew what you were looking at. It really felt like being in another time.
Anyway...overall a fun day.

No comments: